In order to reach our goal of high-quality after school and summer programs for every child in Connecticut who needs them, we will need a significant investment of resources. The Connecticut After School Network advocates on behalf of increasing funding for after school and summer programs, as well as for the necessary infrastructure to support quality. In addition, we monitor all bills that might affect after school and summer program providers, and communicate these proposals to interested parties. Find your state and federal elected officials.
State Budget: The Connecticut General Assembly kicked off its 2019 session on Wednesday, January 9, and will finish on June 5. Governor Lamont has released his proposed budget (Click here to see the entire proposal). For CSDE’s After School Grants, the line item is flat funded at $4,720,695 for fiscal year 2019-20 if the Governor’s proposal is adopted.
Now more than ever before, members of Congress need to hear from you. With the great level of uncertainty in Washington, and the possible cuts to dedicated afterschool funding at 21st Century Community Learning Centers, it’s crucial that we have a diverse and broad set of voices telling Congress that afterschool programs are essential to student success. For all the latest on advocacy at the federal level, check out the take action section of the Afterschool Alliance website.
It’s always a good idea to let your Congressional representatives know you support afterschool and summer programs, and you can reach them via Facebook and Twitter. You can retweet the Network’s posts (follow us @CTASN) or, for example, you could tweet this or something like it:
“For America to compete in the 21st century, @SenBlumenthal we need to invest in the future: our children. #AfterschoolWorks @CTASN @afterschool4all”
Reach Connecticut’s representatives using their Twitter handles:
Questions? Contact Michelle Doucette Cunningham at email@example.com or 860-730-2941.
- Governor Releases 2 Year State Budget
- Advocacy After School Task Force
- 19th Annual Lights On After School
- Your input needed on OEC Regs and Plans
- Announcing the 2018 Art Contest Winners
- Why Summer Matters to Me
- Why Summer Matters
- Connecticut Needs Summer Learning Programs
- State Budget Win!
- State Funding Update
GET THE FACTS:
- Why Summer Matters Report 2/28/18
- Proposed Summer Learning Grant Language
- Summer Learning Fact Sheet
- Talking Points for Summer Learning Grants
- Guide to Testifying at a Public Hearing
- Draft Summer Learning Grant Program Bill Language
- List of Education Committee members and contact info
- List of Appropriations Committee members and contact info
- List of Appropriations Subcommittee members (Education on page 10)