Healthy Relationships take time and effort to mature. It is important to teach youth the key elements of creating positive relationships with friends, family members and people they may encounter throughout their life. Respect, Trust, Honesty and Communication are required when developing good relationships.
What makes a healthy relationship?
Group discussion: As a group talk with your students. Ask them if the following attitudes and behaviors are present in your current friendships.
● Communication is open and spontaneous
● Play, humor, and having fun together is common
● Conflict is faced directly and resolved
● Other meaningful relationships are interests exist
● Individuality, free and personal identity is celebrated
● Negotiations are fair and democratic
If you feel like your friend is not treating you with respect, what are the best way to communicate how you feel?
When should you break away from an unhealthy relationship?
[table id=1 /]
Tiana Brown is the Assistant Director of the Norwalk Housing Authority Learning Centers