2023 Fall Conference Workshops
- Behavior Management
- Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI
- Fine Arts (Music Drama, Dance)
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Science, Technology. Engineering & Math (STEM)
- Take It & Run (participants will leave with easy-to-use plans/activities)
- Early Elementary
- Older Elementary
- Middle School
- High School
- Developing & Proficient
- Supporting the Social/Emotional Development of School Age Children – This interactive session explores the principles and milestones of social and emotional development in school age children and includes strategies staff can use in daily interactions with the children in their care.
Kathleen Wilby, M.Ed (SEL, Early Elementary School, Older Elementary School, All)
- Implicit Bias & Microaggressions – Though often unintentional, implicit bias and microaggressions can create challenges in diverse spaces, particularly those that are youth-focused. This workshop will explore the definition, formation, and impact of implicit bias, and impart concrete strategies and suggestions of how to intervene when encountering prejudice and bias in real life.
Cadence Pentheny, Triangle Community Center, Norwalk (DEI, All, Entry, Developing & Proficient)
- Addressing Difficult Conversations – Effective leadership and effective team culture require difficult conversations. Though lack of confrontation may feel good, it is a warning sign of poor team functioning, referred to as artificial harmony. Confrontation is necessary for optimal team functioning and program outcomes.
Katherine Spinney, Coaching LLC (Supervision/Management, All, Developing & Proficient)
Using STEM Programs for Career Exploration with the Blue/Green Economy – Mystic Aquarium offers national STEM Mentoring Programming and recently added a Blue and Green Economy career exploration module for Middle School and High School students that we will explore. We will explore the high level of the module which helps expose youth to experts in the field along with participating in hands-on transferrable STEM activities that give young people a snapshot of what it would feel like to work in the growing professions. Participants will also learn of other the many federal funding opportunities supporting these types of programs and the way to become a site with Mystic Aquarium.
Ayana Melvan, Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships, Mission Programs, Mystic Aquarium (STEM, Middle School, High School, Advanced)
Mindful Yoga Breaks Wise Owl Workshop: The Joy of Sharing Yoga & Mindfulness with Children of All Ages – In this workshop, we will explore the many benefits of yoga and mindfulness using games, props & exercises. You’ll learn fun, easy to learn & practical tools to incorporate into your program to help us manage our emotions, so we can find calm, peace, joy and gratitude, even when things feel out of control.
Lani Rosen-Gallagher, M.Ed., RYT 200, RCYP, Full of Joy Yoga (SEL, Take It and Run, Early Elementary School, Older Elementary School, All)